Thursday, April 24, 2008

La Môme Piaf

The sparrow girl. A small person with a tormented soul like that of many lifetimes, she will never be forgotten. Edith Piaf. I've been always impressed by her, though many people these days don't know much of her. The movie La vie en Rose or La Môme is an excellent movie. Though for many the choice of flashbacks and flashforwards are pretty confusing, and the difficulty to put all the major events of her life in 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will be astonished about the acting qualities of Marion Cotillard. She is not an actress playing Edith Piaf, she IS Edith Piaf. Not a moment I realized that I was looking at a 31 year old actress. I had the feeling to see Edith playing her own life. I think this is the best acting I've ever seen so far. I can only imagine the difficulty and stress it must have been to play this big part. Even when she is playing the 47 year old Edith, right before she dies, there is no doubt. Especially for Marion this was the hardest part, because she was afraid that it would look rediculous. So she stayed in bed during the whole shoot, even when off camera. Sleeping before she had to perform again, from this position she felt she could put a realistic picture. I think that Marion as an actress comes close to the greatness of Edith Piaf. Though she will never become immortal, she made Edith come alive and immortal again for those who discover her for the first time. It's a must see movie, but be warned, for the sensitive people it's quite a rollercoaster to see this movie.

2 comments:

Diane Dehler said...

Hi Neo,
This is a good review and I agree with you as I loved the film. Every so often they get it right and give the right film an award.

Anonymous said...

yeah this is a very good film
I love the acting of that actress